Wise Elder

Member Since Mar 2009
885 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Nov 08, 2019 at 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCrafter View Post
In light of the current conversation about turning off the mention option, and DocJohn telling there is no option to do that at this time, how about we set up two lists?

You can read the thread here: Is there a way to turn off the mentions list?

If you want people to add the @mention option to your name, please post to this thread.

I'll go post the Please Don't Mention Me right now.

Thank you!!
I do not use mentions when I am posting to someone. there actually is no need for it in my opinion.

Psych central already has "reply with Quotes"

this automatically puts who a person is replying to or talking to in a quote box (like my post to you)

my point people already know when someone is posting to them by seeing the post quoted.

So I never even bothered trying to figure out the mentions option.

Instead I just continue using the reply with quote and leave it up to other members to read or not read my post when they are reading threads.

my problem with this is that in some ways this mentions option can get people accidentally breaking or on purpose circumventing the ignore feature.

whats the first thing that happens when someone suddenly finds out they are on someones ignore list? they try and find a way past that. they cant post in that persons threads and they cant pm that person so sometimes they post in someone elses thread naming the poster that has them on ignore..

example say I have jane dow (made up name) on ignore, Jane dow goes to one of my threads discovers they cant post to me. makes a reply in someone elses thread and directs their reply to me. they have broke the do not circumvent the ignore list rules. same with jane dow making her own thread and using mentions directing her post to me. which is breaking the do not circumvent the ignore list rules.

Same thing can happen accidentally because no one knows who has put them on ignore. with an added trigger. Jane dow doesn't know shes on my ignore list, mentions me in a post, I get triggered by the notification that someone on my ignore list has mentioned me in their own thread, not only did they accidentally circumvent the ignore list but also needlessly caused another member to be triggered.

therefore when the mentions option first became available I did not even bother using it or planned to use it.
amandalouise is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote