Poohbah

Member Since Sep 2016
112 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Nov 11, 2019 at 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by here today View Post
Are you familiar with Heinz Kohut's theory of the development of the self and the 3 self-object functions? I did quite a bit of research several years ago about that. And I believe I can identify, I have some sense, when those are "working". I think I know what is missing for me and when I became aware that my last T was not someone I could "twin" with I suggested that we could still work together on the development of my self from a kind of theoretical standpoint, exploring what would a "twin" be like for me, and the feelings that I had for a great-aunt, who was the closest of that for me. The therapist refused to consider it and that led to the ensuing conflicts that led to the termination.
I know about Kohut but I'm not particularly familiar with his theory. I guess I have been much influenced by my two analysts who are not self-psychologists and thus I haven't felt the interest to familiarize myself with Kohut's theory so far. But who knows, maybe I will read about at one point too.

Quote:
So a question is, if a therapist is not sufficient in their own self to be that Other for a client, is there some other way to move forward?
Honestly, I'm not sure it is possible, unless the therapist will engage in his/her own treatment/development or at least is open enough to let someone with sufficient own self to guide/contain themselves in supervision.

Quote:
I think It's inadequate to say, when a therapy relationship like mine failed, that it was only the original damage that was exposed and not additional damage heaped upon it by trying my best, in the best ways I knew how, and being failed by the therapist.
I believe I did not claim anything like it, I believe I did not even address this question. I personally am not interested in locating a general blame at this point. I think everyone can decide for themselves what and how much has affected them. It's clear that the early childhood forms the basis and everything else is deposited on top of that and what is deposited is much dependent from what's the basis. But also that all the things that have happened to the person in their life has had their own accumulating effect and it's the subjective judgement of the person what is most relevant here.
feileacan is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Lilly2

Thanks for this!
here today