Grand Magnate

Member Since Jun 2018
1 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Nov 14, 2019 at 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rive. View Post
I think there is a misconception that all psychoanalytic Ts are neutral, blank-faced, walls. Whereas Ts from other orientations would have a heart and express it!

None of my Ts were particularly expressive, yet they were not psychoanalytic/psychodynamic. So, it seems to have more to do with the type of person you are than the type of theoretical branch you subscribe to.
I suspect it might have to do with many or probably even most therapists having an eclectic approach and generally being less rigid these days. I think that's a good thing - it allows for more variety and variety is often good because it gives people more choices. However, the way many therapists are described doesn't really sound like the way anybody acts in real life, which makes me doubtful that it is solely a result of their personality. I wouldn't call the one I see a blank slate, and she isn't neutral exactly, but she is definitely more impassive and neutral than anyone I have ever met like 95% of the time. That makes me think the way she acts in session is a therapisty facade.

ETA - Also, her FB photos show a very different side of her. She seems a bit goofy, tbh.

Hugs from:
SlumberKitty