Grand Magnate

Member Since Jun 2012
1,429 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Nov 15, 2019 at 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudFox View Post
Yes, agree, but if you told a therapist you had a relationship in the real world from which you were seeking your sense of self, the therapist would likely carry on about how wrong that is. That's the essential hypocrisy of therapy.

And the psychology of the therapist who believes their role is to be dispenser of self-worth... truly disturbing.
Yes, but the therapists apparently can't see, or care, about that any more than I could see, or care, that my ideal plan about not eating was. . .maybe not so ideal? And included possible consequences that hadn't even been in the picture when I made the plan?

Disturbing, once you see see it. Deservedly disturbing. But the therapists aren't disturbed because they are not seeing it, not looking for it, and not hearing it when patients tell them about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudFox View Post
. . .
Seems to me the self-worth you buy from a therapist is a sham version that needs to be continually bolstered from the outside, thus people get trapped in therapy needing that regular dosing of external validation. Or, worse, the therapist becomes rejecting or shaming and the client goes off a cliff.
This is the difficult part. Clients with poor self-worth, or poor sense of self as I use the term (others may use it differently), are the very ones who are vulnerable to going off the cliff when the therapist rejects or shames.

Now, I don't think I would -- but that was then. And going off a cliff, I think, is more than just "getting worse before you get better". It can be really devastating to a life.
here today is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote