Grand Magnate

Member Since Oct 2012
1,105 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Nov 16, 2019 at 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafarer View Post
If I had $250,000 I would feel like a millionaire. I would invest the principal and live off the interest.
I have never in my life had more than $1,000 in any bank account.
I live on $900 a month, Social Security and pension. I live in a safe senior building and never have to worry about utility bills.
Sometimes we need a vacation from our everyday lives.

It's been a while since anyone has replied on this thread. It was nice to see a poster. In a lot of ways, I felt sorry that I had put that thread on since so many people are struggling. I have appreciated the replies, though.

There was a time when I didn't have much. I got a lucky break when I received $100,000 in an inheritance from my late parents. My sister and two brothers got the same amount. My late brother got the inheritance and blew it all; and ended homeless for a while. My sister had it plus she and her husband sold four houses along with the both of them having pensions. They have been at $100,000 in debt! I don't know where all that money went. I had a thread on here about lending my sister money, in which I did. Fortunately she paid me back. There are so many other people I have known that were doing better than I am right now and they ended up broke.

Just recently I put about 30% of my money in a high-yield money market at a bank that was my mortgage company. They suddenly decided to lower the interest rate greatly; so I got mad and pulled my money out and decided to put it somewhere else. It's been a hassle doing this and I have lost out on some interest because of transferring over. It's a complicated procedure.

Between those incidences in the last couple of paragraphs that I have written, that's why I worry about my money. One time, around 35 years ago, I had $15,000 saved up and I lost it all in a couple
of years. It was all gone before I knew it and I hadn't been spending a lot.
will19 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
Seafarer