View Single Post
TheSadGirl

Member Since Sep 2019
33 hugs
given
Default Nov 16, 2019 at 11:58 AM

Here I am again. 😂 I have known a psychopath and hence did a LOT of research into it. How can I be sure this person was one? Formally diagnosed with aspd and before that conduct disorder. There is a history with the law and mental health professionals. They are sadistic with violent tendencies and urges. This person has zero capabilities of forming attachment to anyone, including family or romantic partners. So forth and so on.

Not all psychopaths present exactly the same, but this person has been acknowledged as psychopathic by professionals even though it is not an official diagnosis.

People can argue the aspd/psychopathy relationship to no end, but the consensus is that psychopaths all have aspd and will get diagnosed with aspd because psychopathy is not recognized as a diagnosis.

If you are not diagnosed aspd, you are likely not a psychopath. Disorders by definition must have traits strong enough to cause disruption in your life which usually leads to the conduct disorder or aspd diagnosis depending on age.

Can you be an undiagnosed person with aspd or psychopathy? Sure, but again given criteria is that is impacts your life and wellbeing, it is unlikely. Further more I reiterate that having traits does not automatically equate to being a psychopath. This is why disorders have multiple criteria and psychiatrists look at the whole picture to make a diagnosis.

A lot of people like to self diagnose and for whatever reason identifying as a psychopath seems to be the cool thing to do. I can not claim to understand that mindset.

Finally the few I know who are diagnosed aspd and classify as psychopaths rarely go around telling people and wearing it like a badge of honor. It isn't. Like any other mental illness it causes a lot of issues in daily life. Aspd is highly stigmatized in the mental health community with many professionals not willing to touch it. Medication doesn't fix it. Therapy doesn't fix it. There is no cure. While there is no shame in who people are, it certainly isn't something to be proud of in my opinion. It is still a mental illness, period.

It would be refreshing to see real discussions about living with aspd, with or without psychopathy, without falling into the trap of what the media says it is.

This is not specific to anyone here. It is my general frustrations about a very misunderstood condition. Too many people think it's cool and never talk about how much it really sucks.

My two cents.
TheSadGirl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
redsoxrule