Legendary Wise Elder

Member Since Mar 2011
21.4k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Nov 18, 2019 at 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amyjay View Post
I don't relate to being a survivor, never have. I experienced traumas, but didn't "survive" them. Nobody chose to kill me, that's all. I did nothing to earn a badge of survivorship. I experienced abuses, and now I don't.
But that's not because of anything I ever did or didn't do.
I just don't "get" the survivorship thing.
It's not unusual to feel this way Amyjay. When a person suffers from ptsd, they are suffering from the affects of trauma which can include being abused or exposed to too much abuse that creates a deep feeling of being "unsafe" and powerless.

I think it would be better if helping someone suffering from ptsd resulting from abuse/emotional abuse and dysfunction if FIRST the person is able to finally talk about whatever they experienced with an individual that can really LISTEN where the sufferer feels safe and has found the person that can be a witness and validate as much as needed. Then the goal is HELPING and SUPPORTING this individual to learn HOW to be a survivor which includes learning to manage this "disorder" labelled ptsd.

Also, it's important to understand that some people experience ptsd worse than others might too. What can trigger one person may not trigger another person even though both individuals may struggle with ptsd.

Hugs from:
Breaking Dawn, Fuzzybear, HD7970GHZ

Thanks for this!
Breaking Dawn, HD7970GHZ, Mendingmysoul