View Single Post
Roamer1115

Member Since Jun 2019
3 hugs
given
Default Nov 20, 2019 at 01:09 AM

yeah, if it were only a different time, different place...I kinda feel the same about my T at different times. Also with friends at other times in my life. We meet people and have feelings shoot, it is really hard to figure this stuff out.

This stuff is part of what therapy is about, human relationships, feelings and actions. My T, actually, reminded me quit often that our relationship was not going to leave the room or past the hour of therapy, no matter what. I was able to share lots of my feelings openly, others were a bit more difficult and took more time. I was always a bit disappointed that I could not get her to talk about herself more, like things she did in her life etc. I told her this of course and of course she explained that she had ethical and personal boundaries that we were not going to cross. We had a good relationship fit within one hour, sometimes an hour was enough but most of the time it was not and we were both kinda talking as she was leaving the room. I used what we talked about and what I learned in those hours to work on myself and my feelings. To review my past and experiences etc. She was exceptionally understanding of parts of me that others were not able to understand, but she also told me when she thought I was not understanding something or could have done something in a different manner with a better outcome.

I think all of this is something I'd like in a real romantic, total relationship...yet I think that it would be near impossible since a day to day relationship requires much more and much less.

I would not discuss very often many of the things I discussed with my T with a Partner, for good reason. Also a partner cannot be expected to be all things to me nor I to them. Hopefully though we do learn how to communicate our thoughts and feelings so we can have a close, intimate, loving relationship with our partners. I only have hopes since I'm 76 years old and not out and about looking around much.

Talk this stuff out with your Therapist, if she doesn't respond in a manner you understand, tell her that too. I actually did tell mine that I thought it would be great if she were my friend and any other relationship that could lead too. It's easy when in the back of my head I knew this would never happen and that an hour extended to several would be a totally different relationship and not therapy.

Best of life and love.
Roamer1115 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Rustyfinger