Thread: ECT Experiences
View Single Post
FluffyDinosaur
Grand Member

Member Since Nov 2019
31 hugs
given
Default Nov 20, 2019 at 01:32 AM

I've only recently been diagnosed (bipolar 2, depersonalization/derealization, schizoid features), so my journey into the world of meds is only just starting. To be honest I'm really afraid of all the side effects. I've been reading up on ECT, and to my naive understanding it seems to have fewer nasty side effects. I guess I just like the idea of getting a treatment now and then, and then being "done with it" for a while. I also like that there's no risk of damage to my thyroid, kidneys, no risk of weight gain, etc.

I've been kind of hesitant to bring it up with my psychiatrist because I'm afraid he might think it's overkill to start with ECT before giving meds a serious try. I was wondering about other people's experiences with ECT.
  • Is it overkill to try ECT without going on meds for a longer time first?
  • I've heard about the memory loss side-effect. Does it only affect short-term memories of around the time of the ECT treatment?
  • Are there any cumulative side-effects of ECT that I haven't taken into consideration?
  • What benefits do you experience from ECT, and how long do they typically last?
  • Do the benefits last even if you're not sleeping well? I have a couple of babies on the way so I'm anticipating plenty of sleepless nights. I know lack of sleep has been a major trigger for me in the past, and I don't want to do ECT only to have all the benefits undone that way.
FluffyDinosaur is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
fern46