Grand Poohbah

Member Since Mar 2018
144 hugs
given
Trig Nov 20, 2019 at 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amyjay View Post
Oh! Sorry for misunderstanding.
All I can say is that I just "know" when it is an alter because I absolutely "know" it isn't me. I just "know" it is an alter and not me. I don't know how to explain it other than that. They are just not me. (Although of course I know that in theory that they are a part of me. It's just that my experience of them, their thoughts an feelings is as an "other", a "not-me".)

Question. I'm not talking about this same thing now. I'm just curious about knowing in general. How do you know what is one alter from another if you were that way ever since you can remember and DID develops in childhood. For example: I have had these bad impulses since I was 8 years old. That is as far back as I remember. Just a few things from before then. I have always struggled with really wanting to do them and not at the same time. Literally fighting my body for control. I was told by a Psychologist and a layperson. That when you really want to do something but don't at the same time and you are battling for control that, that is an two alters with conflicting feelings. Because it is all I have ever known how do I know that's just not what I want to do and don't want to. I might have a desire to eat 3 bags of Cheetos but not want to get fat. That's just me having conflicting feelings about one thing. How do I know that's not how the other thing is when it's all I've ever known? Then on top of trying to figure that out I have my therapist saying that she believes my true self is xyz. How do I have a true self if I'm diagnosed DID?
Rive1976 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote