stopdog
underdog is here

Member Since Sep 2011
1 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Nov 24, 2019 at 11:57 AM

They lie and they act (a therapist who identified themselves as aspd):
"If you had ASPD wouldn't you not be able to see something as wrong or reprehensible?
Sure, my "default" state is unable to see something as wrong or reprehensible. But years of therapy and coaching and training have taught me how to. Instead of being an innate compass, it's more of a skill to me, the same way a person learns to read or write. It's not necessarily something I feel, but it's something that I recognize *should* be "messed up" to others, and therefore I am able to ID that. Does that make sense?.......It might be helpful if you could describe your perception of ASPD, and I can help alleviate the concerns I’m not a sadist (poor Christian Bale hasn’t done much to paint us in a good light haha) and I’m not out to do harm. ASPD simply means that things don’t “get to” me. Patient hates me? Shrug, idgaf. Patients gang up and whine that the group I’m running is challenging? Good, you need to be challenged. Patient is struggling with a tough emotion? Okay, I’ve been trained on how to help them through this. I don’t need to feel the emotion to be able to identify and help them through it, the same way a doctor doesn’t need to have diabetes to treat it.
Or on the flip side, do y’all need to personally feel the schizophrenia, the OCD, or the depression to be able to effectively treat it? Nope. Think of someone with ASPD as an extreme - I don’t feel much of anything when I encounter another person, but that doesn’t mean I’m not effective at treating it. I don’t feel pity or sadness when someone tells me about their abuse or trauma, but I will try my damn hardest to make them feel better and help them process.
I also work largely from a psychoanalytic orientation and it works well for me. I can easily take on that tabula rasa front."

Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.
Oscar Wilde
Well Behaved Women Seldom Make History - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.
stopdog is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote