View Single Post
still_crazy
Grand Poohbah

Member Since Oct 2016
3,342 hugs
given
Default Nov 25, 2019 at 01:06 AM

it could be. maybe not. really helpful, i know. :-(

akathisia can be suppressed with: gabapentin, lyrica, benzodiazepines, propranolol, even remeron (apparently...weird, to me...), and (for the 'alternative' among us) high dose b6. the high dose b6 is interesting, but I wouldn't try it without somebody supervising. anyway...

there's a risk of long term, even (try not to be afraid...) permanent akathisia. that was/is more common with people kept on high doses of the old drugs, especially the state hospital doses...those dosages caused all sorts of problems. these days...

well, the "atypical" vs "conventional" categorization is kind of...not so helpful. abilify may or may not be a little less likely to cause TD than many other options (rejoice!), but the akathisia is...real. often painful.

so, personally, just based on my own experiences...I'd ask for a GABA-drug and a switch, if you need an antipsychotic. and...id probably ask for something that -isn't- a D2 partial agonist. -all- tranquilizers cause akathisia in some people, but abilify, rexulti, and vraylar are kind of...rough, in that regard.

but that's me. propranolol didn't touch my inner misery w/ zyprexa akathisia, but klonopin+gabapentin got the job done till I was switch...to Abilify, which did not and has not caused akathisia, for me..but on average, is more likely to cause it than zyprexa. weird, huh?

are you sleeping? ;
still_crazy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Anonymous46341, Wild Coyote

Thanks for this!
Wild Coyote