View Single Post
nonightowl
Desert Kitty hates titles

Member Since Jul 2008
6,800 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Heart Nov 25, 2019 at 01:34 PM

Anxietysux, I hope you find something that makes the pain less intense, even for brief periods of time.

I saw a segment on grief on Sunday Morning (CBS newsmagazine show) recently, and they said American culture doesn't allow people to grieve properly. You have to keep going to work, to school (bereavement leave is not common and if you get it, it's not enough days), etc. People are uncomfortable with loss in this culture, and it seems they just want you to get over it or be "normal" around them so THEY can feel more comfortable.

Grief or loss is universal, eventually touching everyone at some point. But there's a denial about it in this country. I had to vent because this time of the year is esp. painful. FAMILY, FRIENDS. I have no family left and few friends. A nice lady I know was kind enough to invite me to dinner Thur so I'm not alone. She knows I have no family (except an estranged brother), and she doesn't even know me well or has known me long. Yet she's reaching out.

There's a book that came out this year called Finding Meaning-The 6th stage of grief by David Kessler that I will try to read in a couple of months when I might be more "ready". I'm NOT saying that YOU should read this at all. It's not advice, as I hate people doing that to me. It's just letting you know what I'm trying to do, as it's so complicated esp. when you had a difficult relationship with the deceased like I had (in the case of my parents).

Hmmm....looks like some good tips in here.

"Okay, enough photos. I'm a very BUSY Business Kitty, so make an appointment next time."
nonightowl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote