View Single Post
Skeezyks
Disreputable Old Troll

Member Since Oct 2015
17.4k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Nov 26, 2019 at 10:17 PM

Hello Gweenbean: I see this is your first post here on PC. So... welcome to Psych Central. One additional forum, here on PC, that may be of interest to you would be the Psychotherapy forum. Here's a link:

https://psychcentralforums.com/psychotherapy/

We here on PC cannot offer mental health diagnoses. Plus I'm not a mental health professional. So I can't tell you whether or not what you are experiencing would constitute PTSD. However, just from a lay-person's perspective, I would think it might be. If what you experienced occurred over an extended period of time, perhaps what you are experiencing now might be considered complex PTSD. However this is something a mental health professional is going to have to determine.

You mentioned you're planning to go to therapy but are concerned all they'll do is prescribe medicine. Of course I don't know what type of therapist you'll be seeing. But my experience, at least, has been most therapists are not able to prescribe medications. For this one has to see a medical doctor (possibly a psychiatrist) or perhaps a nurse practitioner or physician's assistant in some cases. Under any circumstances, it's your choice whether or not to take medications. And if the therapist you see turns out to not be someone you feel comfortable with, it's your option to look for another therapist you do feel good about.

Here are links to 5 articles, from Psych Central's archives, that may be of interest:

Posttraumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) | Psych Central

Posttraumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Treatment | Psych Central

How Do You Find a Good Therapist? An Interview with Dr. John Grohol

10 Ways to Find a Good Therapist

https://psychcentral.com/find-therapist/

I hope you find PC to be of benefit.

"I may be older but I am not wise / I'm still a child's grown-up disguise / and I never can tell you what you want to know / You will find out as you go." (from: "A Nightengale's Lullaby" - Julie Last)
Skeezyks is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Fuzzybear

Thanks for this!
WantPeaceofMind