View Single Post
pliepla

Member Since Oct 2019
70 hugs
given
Default Nov 27, 2019 at 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gweenbean View Post
At an early age I was physically/verbally abused by my biological mother and by some of my foster parents.

I've been struggling with this for years. When I'm under lots of stress/anxiety I tend to freeze and I start crying and I feel like I can't breathe and I can't speak and sometimes I start trembling. I zone out completely. Usually what seems to trigger this would be someone yelling at me, scorning me, feeling like a disappointment, seeing someone displeased with me. Sometimes I feel a freeze coming and I'll try to breathe and stay calm but it doesn't seem to help.

I plan on going to therapy but I'm afraid the only thing they'll do will be prescribe me medicine.
I'm in a similar situation. It started at a later age and involved parents forcing me to get a degree (and by consequence a job) I did not want on one hand an a mother who can only communicate with my by yelling. I can't stand people yelling, I get more or less the same reaction as what you describe.

I have been diagnosed as 'not PTSD' (mainly because my trauma is the result of something that occurred over a longer period of time) but if you ask me, we're on a thin line here and another doctor might have come to a different conclusion.Yet, because of the similarity between my reaction to verbal agression and that of PTSD-patients to their triggers, I have been treated as such.

I have had reasonable results with EMDR.

Please do seek professional help. Keep in mind that not all therapists are the same. Some psychiatrists might limit themselves to writing a prescription, but that should not mean you can't explore other routes. Maybe a GP can point you towards a suitable therapist.
pliepla is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote