View Single Post
Anonymous48672

Default Nov 30, 2019 at 03:06 PM

So, anyone who has been following my story knows that to avoid being homeless after moving out of my mother's 55+ bldg. this summer when she went into a nursing home, I had 3 options for a roof over my head:

+be homeless
+craigslist roommate #1: tiny basement no egress window w/dog, toddler, estranged husband of landlord and her roommate who is in AA treatment
+referred roommate from acquaintance who lives in same neighborhood where I grew up (what I wasn't told is that she is mentally ill)

I chose option #3 b/c no one told me my current roommate of 5 months is seriously mentally ill. She presented herself to be a normal, middle aged divorced mom of 1 teenager when we first met. I quickly learned one month into moving in with her that was far from the truth.

This week was the second time she was taken to the local hospital and placed into temporary care in the mental health ward. The plan, I was told by her sister and friends, was to have her transferred FINALLY to the hospital's inpatient treatment program.

Didn't happen.

I got a text today from her sister and her friend that she would be coming back to her house today. Apparently, the stupid psychiatrists were convinced by my roommate's blatant lying that she would agree to be transported to outpatient therapy and take her meds prescribed.

I was told by her sister and her best friend that this cycle has been repeating for 5 years. My roommate has not gone to outpatient therapy, or takes her prescribed medications.

I feel like I'm Bridget Fonda's character in the movie "Single White Female," living with Jennifer Jason Leigh's character. Granted, my roommate has not tried to murder me in the 5 months I've lived with her, but minus that, she is definitely mentally ill having not left her bedroom in 5 months or looked for a job, or opened her mail, done any house work, etc.,.

Now, as people already know if you read my threads, I do not have a full-time job. I do not have savings. I am literally stuck living w/this roommate until I can 1) get a full-time job soon or 2) hold out until I get my spring grad school refund the middle of February. I have been in a financial transition since quitting my job last year to move in w/my mother to take care of her. That is what precipitated my current living situation and financial straits.

Not having a full-time job really does impede one's ability to live a stable life.

I am at the public library hoping my roommate has had time to decompress from her 4 night stay, so that I won't be walking into some chaos. As in, I hope she leaves my guest bedroom space alone.

Am I overreacting? Do you think?

Hugs from:
Open Eyes