Student of Life

Member Since Mar 2014
2,911 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Dec 06, 2019 at 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitimage View Post
A big part of this is biochemical. If you're brain is used to having alcohol, then that is its "normal" it needs the alcohol to function. When you remove the alcohol, your brain misses it, and doesn't quite know how to operate.

I had the same problem with learning to socialize sober when I quit drinking. Going to AA helped because it helped me realize I wasn't alone, but for a couple of years, I just stayed close to a few of my IRL friends and mainly socialized with them, and gradually added larger gatherings. But even now, I don't feel comfortable going to large parties where I don't know a lot of people.

splitimage

I kind of realized this too... I actually hate going to bars sober. I mean, it kind of makes sense. They're loud, etc. I don't know... I don't have to love going to bars. So I came to a similar realization. I am actually trying to make cafés my main hangout spots. As in, when I invite friends to do something, I'll invite them for a coffee instead of for a drink at a bar. I'll see how this goes.
WastingAsparagus is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
bizi

Thanks for this!
bizi, splitimage