View Single Post
Bat_Orchid90

Member Since Dec 2018
Default Dec 07, 2019 at 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annoyedgrunt84 View Post
After thanksgiving this year I came to the realization that my family may be a lot more dysfunctional than I ever thought. My sister was yelling at her kids, my nieces were fighting with each other I felt very uncomfortable for the first time. I’m unsure of what to do. Should I try to talk about with them? Should I call them out?

I think it’s up to you and only you know how they truly are. Like it’s YOUR family, so only you know if that is typical for them, or if it was just a one time thing. I personaly don’t think confronting them may do much good depending on the situation, because the behavior wasnt directed at you, so it may be hard for them to say “sorry” and change . You know what i mean? If someone steps on your foot, you confront them, they say sorry and try to not step on your foot again.... someone yelling at their kids , well... they may get offended for the whole “parenting “ thing, but also if thats how they act when theyre not around you then when they ARE around you, it will be harder to control since it’s a habit. Ya know?

Always remember, you can’t change people. You can only change the way you respond to their behavior.

So if they make you uncomfortable, set boundaries for yourself. Maybe only stay for the dinner portion of the holiday and then leave before everyone gets chatty and rowdy. Or maybe set aside time around the holiday to see family and just avoid the dinner all together. Again only you know the severity of the problem. :/ i wish you luck!
Bat_Orchid90 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
Iloivar