Xynesthesia2
Veteran Member

Member Since Mar 2019
55 hugs
given
Default Dec 08, 2019 at 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonesomeTonight View Post
Ah ok. I know there was a previous poster whose T was very confrontational, and her T would say she does Gestalt therapy, and that’s how it works, or something like that (this was a couple years ago and is the only poster mentioning Gestalt, so only impression I had. Could be her T was using that as excuse or was more old school though).
I knew someone who used to be a Gestalt therapist before he retired and he definitely had that style and liked and would have wanted in a T as well. But, as I said before, it was obvious that the direct, no-nonsense style was generally in his personality. He combined that with a very respectful, attentive and curious orientation, very insightful as well. I met him in a peer support group and many people admired him similarly. It was partly my interactions with him that got me interested in trying psychotherapy in the first place. He also apparently received a lot of Gestalt therapy before he trained for it. All this was at least a decade ago so it might well be that he was part of an older school of it. His interaction style was very relational though but he has very clear, solid boundaries - something else I liked very much. He wouldn't let people mess with him and expressed very clearly when someone was going too far.
Xynesthesia2 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
Anonymous45127, comrademoomoo, LonesomeTonight