View Single Post
LonesomeTonight
Always in This Twilight

Member Since Feb 2015
75.1k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Dec 09, 2019 at 07:53 AM

Personally, I find it very helpful to be validated by my T. I didn't get much of that as a child regarding my feelings, so getting it now, regarding both what's going on in my life now and what was in my past, is helpful. Therapy has also helped me improve my communication skills with people in my outside life. And he's teaching me other coping skills (like breathing exercises). Also helping me get more in touch with emotions like anger, which I tended to suppress. And other stuff.

I think much of it is having the right fit in both therapist and modality. Do you have the option of trying a different therapist? Maybe one who uses a different technique, such as EMDR like zoie mentioned? But so much of it can be the therapeutic relationship--my T has said studies show that the relationship is the greatest predictor of success in therapy, more so than anything else like modality. So you may just need to try others. And actually, the question you ask here, it could be a good question for an initial session or even phone consultation--the "how is this treatment going to actually help me?" If you don't have the option to change T's, then try asking the one you have that question--maybe you need a change in approach or focus.
LonesomeTonight is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
SalingerEsme

Thanks for this!
SalingerEsme