View Single Post
LundiHvalursson

Member Since Sep 2019
Default Dec 13, 2019 at 05:41 PM

I came across this article:

Later-in-life virgins – ‘At my age, it becomes a red flag’

I think that the title says it all.

I am not sure what to think of this article, whether to feel depressed or just brush it off and keep trying like usual. Here are some quotes from the article that really had me thinking about this:

Quote:
If it seems as though taboos about sex have lifted in these ostensibly open-minded times, there is one that holds steady: the stigma over never having had sex. While it has become widely unacceptable to criticise someone for having too many partners, being a virgin “still seems to be something that can be only mocked or shamed or suspect”, says Richard.
That is deflating to hear.

About the same guy:
Quote:
He is articulate, even wryly humorous, about his virginity, even as he says it causes him day-to-day unhappiness. “It’s like trying to date with an STD that’s not contagious and easily curable, but still puts people off.”
So today's society regards virginity at 25+ as basically an STI. That is the extent to which people hate virgins?

Quote:
Three years ago Richard was pursued by a woman who retreated after learning, via a game of 20 questions over text, that he was a virgin. “When I kind of pried, she said that she thought that she would ‘ruin’ me.” That response is not uncommon, he says. “It’s like they’re dictating your sexuality for you, in a way – what you are and aren’t ready for, what you can handle emotionally, just based on that one titbit about you.”
I can relate. And this guy is only one year older than I am. Is this what is to become of my future?

Hugs from:
Serpentine Leaf