View Single Post
SoAn

Member Since Sep 2019
84 hugs
given
Default Dec 16, 2019 at 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtleyWilkins View Post
For those constantly checking your T's texts (not sure how you can even do that -- must be something other than regular text messaging)
Like others brought up, this is the default Whatsapp setting, so it doesn't involve extra snooping.

Quote:
maybe consider how this would feel if you found out someone was constantly checking your cyber/text history? I'm wondering if you would feel comfortable knowing that someone was so constantly wound up in checking on you like that. I don't mention that as shaming so much as perhaps thinking about this from the receiving end might help you regulate your own behaviors a bit so they aren't so seemingly consuming like you describe them.
This is definitely a fair point (although it sounds like you're referring to something more involved than checking someone's last seen status), and I have considered this, even more so after your post here. I agree that a therapist is a person like any other, and their boundaries should be respected, their profession is not a carte blanche for anybody to live out whatever it is they fancy doing.

Nevertheless, I feel that this behaviour (checking my T's last seen), is not so much threatening to my T as it is a sign that something is amiss in my (social) life that would benefit from exploring in therapy sessions. I do think that a therapeutic relationship is not exactly the same as a regular social relationship, and that rather than looking at why this is or isn't inappropriate behaviour, what is most relevant in the therapy setting - for the sake of the client, to be able to improve this in the future - is simply recognizing that this is an urge/need/desire (if it is not a boundary crossing in the experience of the T). To me, most relevant is to explore in therapy what this behaviour gives someone. In my case, I spend a lot of time alone, and it feels as if I am close to him if I see he has been online recently, whether that makes sense or not. And then, how can I fulfill those needs in other ways, why don't I, etc.

Quote:
I honestly wouldn't be comfortable with my own husband constantly doing something like that; (I'd tell him to get a life. LOL!)
When this was posted, it was incredibly painful for me to read. One of the reasons I am in therapy is that, as you phrase it, I do not have a life.
That realisation is very bitter for me, especially as it has been like this for years. I have trouble changing the assumptions I have about the world and others' judgments so that I can start living a little, and not so much in isolation, for instance. It's why I am in therapy, and likely also why I have the urge to check my T's last seen to try and feel close to him/someone - as pathetic and obsessive a way of achieving such a sense of closeness may be. This is, of course, also what's painful about it for me, even though it temporarily makes me feel better.

So I would like to say that, although I assume you did not mean it in a bad way, this is not the forum where these kind of jokes can always be made/taken lightheartedly. It's a great forum, but meaning/intention gets lost easily over text, so let's consider each other's feelings before being too joky.
SoAn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
Lonelyinmyheart, LonesomeTonight, susannahsays, WastingAsparagus