View Single Post
Anonymous44430

Default Dec 18, 2019 at 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetcarBlanche View Post
I met with my job counselor at the Dislocated Workers Program today for the first time. I signed a bunch of paperwork. It was weird that he will keep "case notes" on my journey towards finding a job. I feel a little insecure about that.

He tried to sympathize with me, telling me he was out of work for 2 years. But he had a hefty severance check from his layoff of his 20 year job, a wife who works full-time and a paid off mortgage. So, his situation is not close to mine at all. But he's who I have been matched to. He's brand new in his role there as a job counselor so my god, I hope this goes well.

He had me take some self-assessments. I guess once I land a full-time job, I have to send him my first paycheck stub, and keep in touch with him once a month minimum for the first year of the job. That makes me feel like I'll be on work release from prison but I guess that's how Goodwill Easter-Seals set up the program. I just feel awkward about that because I joined this program to get help finding a job. I didn't realize I would be required to check in once a month during my job search, and for a year after I get my first job. I may choose to drop out of this program. I'll see how it goes.

I'm irritated that I have to re-apply for SNAP food benefits again. I was denied b/c my grad school financial aid refund is counted as "income" despite the fact that I'm not working. I will just resubmit it and see what happens. Will probably be 3 weeks before I get an answer from the county, since Christmas is next week.

I can start calling the unemployment line next week on Mondays and Tuesdays for the previous week of not working. Hopefully, it will help me get through the next 6 weeks while I try to find temp work again, and continue applying for full-time jobs.
what do you work at?

Hugs from:
Buffy01

Thanks for this!
Buffy01