sarahsweets
Threadtastic Postaholic

Member Since Dec 2018
192 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Dec 21, 2019 at 05:48 AM

Hey @WastingAsparagus:
Psychiatric conditions are often thought to be related to just "emotions". Biologically it is brain chemistry. Your brain is not wired like that of a Neurotypical person. If you are diagnosed with a legit mental illness and you take meds its because you have a medical condition that requires medical intervention. This is why it is called mental illness and not mental defect or problem or some other word. When it comes to a narrative, I find that there are people who think relying on or depending on meds means they are weak or lazy. Like if they were able to just stop being so selfish and get their act together or think positive they wouldnt need meds. People with a mental illness are often thought of as having an emotional disorder. Emotional issues that are as a result of a mental illness are symptoms of that illness. The emotions themselves are not the problem- brain chemistry is. This is why insurances started covering mental healthcare- it is not a personality flaw its a medical issue. I am 100% dependent on my meds. A family member I have has diabetes and she is dependent on insulin. My children are dependent on glasses to see- there is not a defining line that makes mental illness medication something you should not be dependent on but the other things I mentioned were ok to be dependent on. That is the narrative as I see it.

President of the no F's given society.
sarahsweets is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
*Beth*, WastingAsparagus