~Christina
Legendary Wise Elder
Community Liaison

Member Since Jul 2011
12.7k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Dec 21, 2019 at 07:49 PM

I personally have never gone to an IP that allows phones or internet. My IP also have phones that can be used when there is no group therapy.

If I’m unstable enough to need IP I need to just disconnect from online anything and focus on myself.

Since I do not have a cell signal at my home and no hardline phone, my nurses or techs let me shoot off a text on there phones to my husband just to let him know I’m doing okay considering.

Numerous times I go a couple days with out calling him, it’s not that I don’t care I’m just wrapped up in myself.

Typically I do not want him to come for a visit , my IP is 110 miles away.. but anytime I’m there longer than 5 days my husband insists on coming.

Last time I needed IP my preferred place had zero beds and didn’t expect a bed with in 30 hours, they have what I call a fish bowl area that has individual rooms with a bed and very comfortable chair and Tv, they will allow you your phone, just to pass the time as there’s no therapy or anything. I wound up having to go by ambulance to a facility 1.5 hours further away as 30 hours in the limit they can hold out for a bed on the unit which is locked, but that has never bother me.

The other IP place was an absolute hell! They kept insisting I could not have my bra ! I mean I get the safety issue but I can not walk around with out one on, it’s literally painful for me. that was a big argument with intake nurse, she also thought I was going to take off my wedding band. I would not budge and the in house Pdoc was called at like 2 am and he allowed it, the nurse was ridiculous.

So because they had no beds at Vanderbilt ( first time this happened , I have been there at least 5-6 times over the years) I am totally against ever going IP again. Fear of being sent elsewhere is too scary.

Vanderbilt is not a place that any pdocs can call to check for available beds. It’s just a first come first served.

I have always going in voluntary even if I didn’t think I really needed to but my T knew I was lacking insight.

IP is never something I long for of course but it is a safe place for me when I just can’t honestly say I’m safe any longer.

Hugs from:
Anonymous46341

Thanks for this!
bpcyclist