View Single Post
Anonymous46341

Default Dec 22, 2019 at 08:16 AM

Thanks, everyone, for sharing your perspectives on this. I pretty much agree with all the responses, thus far.

I have seen posts here at PC from people claiming to be in the psych hospital. I'm sure most are true, though I'm not 100% sure if all are. In any case, I guess I feel that if a person is so depressed or manic (and/or psychotic) that responses from strangers or online friends may or may not be helpful. We are not experts here. What if some response could be more harmful than helpful? That goes even for people in their real lives. Though I was very happy to have the pay phone, it was limited. Even visitations were at least within the ward and within earshot and view.

What if posts/calls from people in crisis are triggering for people on the outside? That is another consideration. And the mention of other forms of destruction from within the hospital via internet is a real biggy. Thanks for mentioning that, sophiebunny.

I definitely see some benefit for internet access for very long-term stays, but think usage should be partially monitored or prevented depending on the current mental state of patients.

I know many people despise the psych hospital and that regular phone and internet may be the only way some will even go. I never yearned for it, but I do remember having outbursts from having other things restricted. It can be a tough call, indeed, in my view.

Christina, that's rough that you have had to go so far from home for psych inpatient. You have a great husband that he has traveled the distance to visit you so much when you were there. I guess I am lucky. One psych hospital is within walking-distance of my house. Another, a 25 minute drive. Only my husband ever visited me during my psych hospitalizations, even though my dad and siblings live only 30 to 35 mins drive from both I mentioned. They likely would visit me if they were physical issue hospitalizations, though. I think the difference relates to a bit of fear and stigma.

Last edited by Anonymous46341; Dec 22, 2019 at 08:49 AM..
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Nammu, sophiebunny

Thanks for this!
Nammu