Community Liaison

Member Since Jun 2016
70.9k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Heart Dec 23, 2019 at 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpcyclist View Post
My psychiatrist stopped taking any insurance in 2008. He is in high demand and a smart businessman and here where HMOs sort of got their start, he saw the writing on the wall early on. He now charges $350 an hour, so I book a 30-minute visit, which is all I can afford, and I only go when I have to. I cannot afford a therapist and him, which is a shame, but I have other people I support and it's just not in the cards.

My practice was largely a cash business, maybe 70/30 cash vs. insurance. I always accepted whatever the insurers paid, including medicare. I felt it was my duty, bu lots of docs don't share that view. Getting paid 25 bucks for an office visit won't really keep the doors open.
Great points!
Sometimes, we forget the doctors also have hefty student loans to repay.

I live near a teaching hospital. Some of the area pdocs have been trying to recruit young doctors as they finish med school, as we are very short on pdocs here. The young doctors refuse to do direct patient care, citing the inadequate income and the inability to repay all of their loans if they do not take administrative positions.

I wonder what this will all look like even just 3 years from now?

Love to All!

Hugs from:
bpcyclist

Thanks for this!
~Christina