Community Liaison

Member Since Jun 2016
70.9k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Heart Dec 24, 2019 at 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiebunny View Post
What will happen is we will lose choice. The average age of a psychiatrist is in the 50s. There are fewer medical students choosing psychiatry as a field. That is a disaster waiting to happen. The demand for psychiatric care is skyrocketing and the supply of physicians is dwindling. Inpatient psychiatrists are hit hardest. They do the most demanding, complex, and sometimes dangerous work. Fewer new psychiatrists want that kind of burden on top of medical school debt. PAs and NPs are being used to fill the gap, but for serious illnesses they really aren't competent.

If you have a psychiatrist and you have a good relationship with him or her, you will be in the minority is just a few years.
Thanks for sharing your knowledge!

I believe you are right on with the ages of pdocs and the readiness to retire soon. My pdoc of 20 years has retired a year ago. The ONE pdoc willing to take me as a patient (as a favor to my pdoc) is 64 y.o. and it won't be long before she retires.. So may around here are retiring very soon or in the near future.

I do not know what everyone is going to do for care.

I also believe that many of us need "experienced" pdocs. I think we will be getting young, in experienced pdocs and/or inexperienced PA, NPs.

Beggars cannot be choosers?
Will we all be beggars soon, as in begging for appropriate care?

I am very concerned. (I am not "worrying" about it, however. At least not yet.)

Love to All!

Hugs from:
bpcyclist, sophiebunny