View Single Post
pliepla

Member Since Oct 2019
70 hugs
given
Default Dec 27, 2019 at 10:15 AM

I've had a similar experience. With Escitalopram, I gained 26 kg (57 lb) in a little over a year (I went from 80 kg/176 lb to 106 kg/224lb). My psychiatrist denied my weight gain had anything to do with my medication. My GP and cardiologist (my father died young from heart disease, so for many years, I had a regular checkup) were worried about the health-effects of my weight. Needless to say my self image sufferd from turning from lean to chubby and - being an avid mountainbiker at the time - I was really frustrated about losing the one thing that had made me fee lgood about myself for years (that is to say, I kept riding but for a long time felt bad on the bike). I eventually ended up with a back-hernia which was partly attributed to my being overweight.
At the time, I wasn't even seeing my psyshicatrist: I just picked up my prescription when I went to the hospital to see my psychologist. I made one appointment to discuees my weight and other health issues. ccording to him, there was no link between my weight adn the medication. Just as there was supposedly no link between my sleepiness and my medication (I have to add to this that it was the same doctor who gave me ritalin to cure my sleepiness). Maybe my medication worked for me (but I've never felt a real difference), but if they did, their side-effects had a larger impact on both my physical and mental well-being.

You're not alone with this. I think medication is too often regarded as a safe quick-fix. There's nothing wrong with wanting to lose weight for your health, nor is there with being concerned with medication related weight gain and the associated health effects but you do have to keep in mind she probably sees far too many people who are obsessed with weight-loss for the wrong reasons (the eating disorders you mention).

Personally, I've grown weary of therapists who over-focus on the "benefits" of medication while they ignore the fact that no pill works for everybody, that side-effects can have an enormous impact and are unwilling to discuss the effectiveness of your medication. Even if an antidepressant works, I think a side-effect can be so severe that it undoes its positive effects and a therapist should be open to discussion.
pliepla is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
*Beth*, Anonymous46341, bpcyclist, Mountaindewed

Thanks for this!
*Beth*, Mountaindewed