View Single Post
JustExisting

Member Since Apr 2019
15 hugs
given
Default Jan 01, 2020 at 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonelyinmyheart View Post
I don't normally post on this part of the forum so please forgive me if this has been asked before.

I grew up in an atmosphere of significant emotional neglect. It wasn't intentional but a by-product of my mother's mental illness and other extremely difficult circumstances when I was young. There was considerable fear in the house I grew up in as a young child. I also had a difficult time at school due to bullying and having no friends.

I've come a long way in dealing with my past, mostly through therapy but also journaling. One thing I find really hard to deal with is my difficulty in expressing feelings. No matter how I feel inside, nothing shows on the outside. I'm nearly always expressionless. The exceptions are when I have managed to cry a little bit in company (usually in therapy) but these instances are pretty rare. It's not just negative emotions but I find it hard to show happiness or show that I'm pleased for someone's good news, or my own. I feel those things to a greater or lesser extent, but the feelings don't translate across.

It seems logical to me that the atmosphere I grew up in made it important for me to hide how I'm feeling no matter what. I'm also naturally an introvert, so I'm not someone who carries a lot of energy in interactions.

Does anyone else experience this? Have you found a way to deal with it? I probably should say that I'm also really paranoid about my looks to the extent that I believe people are always thinking about how ugly I am when I talk to them. This puts me off showing too much in case they think I look even worse. So I guess there are a lot of factors that contribute to it.

I feel I can't connect properly to others because I look as though I couldn't care less.

Hi, me. Nice to meet me.

Every single thing I relate to completely, even about not wanting to show emotions because I think ill look uglier. Everything. This is a common thing for people with that kind of childhood.

I am working hard on allowing my emotions to show. To take them more into account in my decision making. To accept them as valid parts of me. To not think it is weak or selfish to feel sad or angry. To show even positive emotions outwardly so that other people can see that I am not a robot, or a psychopath.

There is nothing wrong with us. We are products of an unsupportive environment. We developed in the way people must develop to survive that kind of environment. Now that you are older and can identify the area that you didn't develop properly, you can work towards correcting it, and that IS possible.
JustExisting is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Fuzzybear, Serpentine Leaf