View Single Post
IceCreamKid
Grand Magnate

Member Since Jan 2011
306 hugs
given
Default Jan 02, 2020 at 08:43 AM

The way I see it at least half the doctors and therapists out there graduated in the lower half of their classes. I stopped going to my doctor because she became so nasty. The final straw was when I made an appointment to discuss how the medication I was taking was making me gain weight (and to once again ask if I could not try something else) and before I could get a word out she started haranguing me about my weight gain, as if it were a character flaw she needed to address.

I resolved then and there to get off the anti-depressant I was on, for three reasons: it didn't seem to be helping (she only wanted to give me more of the same); it made me hungry all the time, and if I went even a few days without it (which happened all the time because I could not get to the pharmacy promptly to fill the prescription) I went through horrible withdrawal.

Well, the withdrawal was absolutely dreadful, even though I did it as slowly as possible. The last week before the symptoms abated I couldn't work, they were so bad.

The end result is, I am still depressed, but no more so than I was on the drug, and I am finally losing the weight. Unless or until someone can tell me I won't pile on the pounds and suffer withdrawal from hell, I am never taking an anti-depressant again.

I do NOT recommend what I did to anyone. I hope what my story does is makes you resolve to put some steel into your voice and say "My concern is serious and deserves attention! If you cannot address it, please refer me to someone who can!!!!!"

My former doctor had no business prescribing psychotropic drugs nor treating emotional concerns. Just because they can prescribe, doesn't mean they know how, in my opinion.
IceCreamKid is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
bpcyclist, WovenGalaxy

Thanks for this!
bpcyclist, WovenGalaxy