View Single Post
Anonymous48672

Default Jan 03, 2020 at 03:49 PM

Great study. Makes sense to me.

Quote:
“The problem for participants was a world in which they now faced a declining sense of purpose and incapacity to reach goals. During moments when various individuals did reflect on their situation, the experiences in question were viewed more in terms of their biographical import (e.g., a “noble struggle” for social justice), rather than as a biomedical illness or disorder.”
This is 100% true -- and for a high number of the human population, I'll wager. Whether they admit to their depression publicly or not. I also think it can be tied to how our society changes culturally over the decades and the impact that has one a person's sense of purpose.

I just deleted a long essay-format response. I do think it's totally normal to feel depressed over time, the older you get. Because, you feel like, you had all this time to find what what your purpose is in life, and pursue it successfully to your benefit. But if that doesn't happen, I don't think it means you are mentally ill. That is the problem I have with America's mental health system.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Thirty shades