Wise Elder

Member Since Oct 2017
9,712 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jan 03, 2020 at 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetcarBlanche View Post
Yes, emotional abuse does cause depression. I know this for a fact, because I grew up being emotionally abused by both of my parents.

And, working with therapists over the years, doing DBT and CBT therapies and the fact that I have a very cool GP who understands how the mind effects the body (because it does, no matter how much Western medicine denies it - our mind influences our body's functions).

There are short term and long-term side effects of emotional abuse. Short term side effects of e.a. are feeling fear, confusion, shame, or feeling hopeless. Long term side effects of e.a. are acute or chronic anxiety attacks (I have that), feeling withdrawn socially or isolating, feeling loneliness, feeling guilty for being emotionally abused (like, you somehow deserve it or cause it -- which is not true at all), or you can self sabotage or feel paranoia even, about your thoughts and choices, because the person emotionally abusing you has worn down your self-esteem to the point where you doubt your own value and worth.

Now, emotional abuse has been linked to fibromyalgia (like, legitimately linked via tests and research). So, you can develop chronic pain in your muscles i.e. fibromyalgia, from being emotionally abused.

I also experience acute bouts of insomnia that I know are tied to my emotional abuse history. I also know that I'm hypervigilant because of the emotional abuse I've experienced. It doesn't help matters, that I still have PTSD from a road bike vs. mobility van truck accident that happened to me 19 years ago (when a mobility van driver ran through a 4-way interaction and ran me over, that gave me a TBI, and 6 months on the rehabilitation floor of my local hospital). To this day, if I hear tires screech, my PTSD gets triggered and I'll either scream, or I'll have a massive panic attack. No, that wasn't an example of emotional abuse, but my point of how our mind directly influences our body.

So, short answer: yes, emotional abuse causes a person to go through periods of depression. Does your husband verbally abuse you?
I was never been married. However my mom and sibling and their significant others has emotionally abuse me then it turn into my friend and ex-boyfriend who emotionally abuse me.
Buffy01 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Breaking Dawn, MickeyCheeky, mote.of.soul, Serpentine Leaf, Sunflower123

Thanks for this!
MickeyCheeky