View Single Post
WovenGalaxy
Magnate

Member Since Sep 2019
4,842 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jan 03, 2020 at 05:22 PM

1. Have any of you read Health at Every Size by Linda Bacon? I highly recommend it. It broke my,mind open and I found it an empowering read.

2. BethRags, it sounds like you feel like you don't have a choice in what you take. You are the captain of your own ship. I'm glad you're going to talk to Dr. W.

3. MountainD, I'd be frustrated and angry too if my t talked to my pdoc against my consent. Your worries make sense to me given the world we live in. Also, this is just me, and you don't have to agree or take my advice, but without guessing and assuming an ulterior motive, maybe your practitioners are concerned, simple as that.

4. I think WishfulThinker has a point. To add to what they said, we live in a weight obsessed society. It is in and of itself, disordered. You can be thin and unhealthy physically. You can be fat and healthy. I'd rather be thin and healthy, bc of the world I live in, my next best choice is overweight and healthy. I believe its possible.

5. I'm sorry to hear that people aren't always informed by their pdocs about the side effects and risks of meds, and also feel their pdocs don't care. I've experienced this as well. I've personally gotten more communicative with mine. Not saying that's the golden answer, but it helped Me.

6. It may BE harder to be on meds and be healthy for some. But overweight does not equate unhealthy. But some psych meds do make you more hungry and your stomach not know when it's full. I'm still learning. But I think its important to educate oneself. If you're on meds, its important to exercise and eat well. It may be that you need a different med if you're getting metabolic syndrome and high bp, etc. Its not a perfect system for ppl w mental illness unfortunately. Mh issues are a pain in the ***. Meds are a pain in the ***. Dealing w doctors, clearly a pain. I think meds are just one facet in the tool box of skills to get better. And it should be your choice whether you want to take them.

Last edited by WovenGalaxy; Jan 03, 2020 at 05:57 PM..
WovenGalaxy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
bpcyclist