View Single Post
Have Hope
Wise Elder

Member Since Dec 2017
3,628 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jan 04, 2020 at 07:44 AM

Ok, so I've determined that my workplace is mainly toxic to me. Why? Because the company is failing, we've lost some very important business, we've lost many employees over time, the leadership is seriously lacking and is not inspiring, and the CEO takes far too long to take any action for positive change.

I decided in the new year I would look for another position, which is right now.

But I am not going to leap without looking simply to get out. My former colleague did that because he was SO miserable, and he leapt into an even worse situation with a new company. So I am not going to do that. I am going to take my time and find the right company. And that literally could take six months or even longer.

In the meantime, I am trying to figure out how the heck to be "happy" in a toxic work environment? I've been miserable, and it's effecting me negatively.

I'm trying to imagine an imaginary bubble around myself each day that protects me. I've placed cute little stuffed animals around my desk that are cheerful. I use my headphones and listen to enjoyable music most of the day. I joke with the colleagues I like and I try to be optimistic and cheerful. I also take a full lunch break every single day, I drive off the campus and I spend time alone. This seems to help me a lot. I also smoke cigarettes secretly on my lunch break. No one knows. lol.

Ok, and I admit. Some days that are particularly stressful I grab an alcohol drink at the local tavern during lunch. Ok that's bad, but no one from work goes there, so I am safe.

And I avoid negative interactions with people, ie, my boss who is particularly negative these days on just about everything. He walks around with a glum face all the time.

I also no longer have anyone to confide in at work. There's one woman I COULD maybe approach because we've become friendly and she's around my age, but I'm being very careful.

What else can I do? Sing songs and skip in the hallways?

The only other thing I can think of is exercise, but that's super hard for me to accomplish. I am REALLY bad about exercise.

Does anyone have any other strategies for maintaining one's sanity in a toxic work environment?

~4 Non Blondes
Have Hope is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote