Member Since Oct 2017
9,711 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jan 05, 2020 at 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpcyclist View Post
What a great thread.

I deal with this virtually every single day of my life. What I have found for me is that no one thing or even couple of things is fully sufficient to battle this problem of mine. It has become a whole bunch of different things relied on at different times that have allowed me to go on. It is a lot of work for me to stay out of victimhood, I won't lie. But I keep on trying.

Here are a few of my most commonly used skills/things/whatever you want to call them: prayer, meditation and mindfulness activities, Buddhist breathing techniques, exercise, tons and tons of DBT stuff, CBT, REBT, Shame Resilience, reading inspirational things by people like Jesus, Thich Nhat Hanh, Brene Brown, Pema Chodron, VIktor Frankl, AA, NA, and more specifically, the AA/NA principle of radical acceptance, watching videos and TV shows about animals, which in me, allows me to briefly experience feelings of love and even joy, which I otherwise do not have any of in my life. So, this one is actually more than a DBT activity, just to be clear. It is able to activate in my brain important, positive emotions I almost never would experience otherwise. So, I do it.

These are my go-to's. I do believe that perhaps the single most impressive piece of writing on this topic for me, other than certain personally important religious/spiritual works, is Man's Search for Meaning, by Viktor Frankl. Just mind-blowing. Short. You can read it in a day. Could be worth checking out.

I am sorry if nothing I posted helps you. Praying for you and thinking of you.
I will keep this in mind. Thank you for the information.
Buffy01 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
bpcyclist