View Single Post
guilloche
Magnate

Member Since Jun 2014
2,704 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jan 07, 2020 at 09:54 AM

I actually really like Meyers-Briggs. There's a lot of depth there, and a lot of good reasons why it can be hard to get an accurate reading. If you dig in to cognitive functions, which underlie the types, there's just... a lot to think about.

That said, I'm finding it hard to type myself. For all of you who tested as INFJ - did you feel like the description of the type fit you?

Years ago, I walked a co-worker through the four dichotomies, and we took our best guess at his type. When we read a random type description on the internet, he was genuinely shocked at how accurately it portrayed him - even things that, to him, seemed unrelated ("how did they know that?!") were spot-on. But, that hasn't been my experience.

BTW - there's also research that talks about how the underlying functions (which define the types) show up differently when you look at brain activity. Dario Nardi did some research at UCLA on this (determined the best-fit type for students, then hooked them up to an EEG machine to watch their brain activity while having them engage in various tasks). He was able to see the differences in how the of an INTJ might approach a problem/task differently than an ESFP, for example.

It's actually really interesting, and he published a (short!) book about it:
Nardi's Book: Neuroscience of Personality: Brain Savvy Insights for All Types of People
guilloche is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote