View Single Post
rechu
Magnate

Member Since Apr 2016
1,040 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jan 08, 2020 at 04:56 AM

I was recently let go from a job with a similar dynamic. Our toxic manager loved several incompetent people, while she and the editor set out to make it impossible for others (such as me) to work effectively so she could threaten us with firing. A co-worker was let go the same day I was. He had felt for a while that he had been targeted by them as well.

Meanwhile, the incompetents still have jobs. One consistently had the lowest production stats of anyone. Others would have been fired long ago for that sort of performance. We did research projects and were expected to update a certain number of projects a month. You needed to find information about the status from the last three months. If you couldn’t find recent information, there is boilerplate language you used to indicate this. The other boss’ favorite had high production statistics but 4 of 5 times she did an update she would use the language that she couldn’t find information, which is useless for the clients. On the rare occasion when she did find information, her work was widely viewed to be sloppy by the rest the department. If I or another of her non-favorites, had done that, we’d be in trouble over performance. But, she was held up as an example as a good worker by our manager. It was completely backwards.

I know how frustrating and demoralizing it can feel. I was a mess emotionally and mentally from the constant stress. I agree with Have Hope that your main focus should be on trying to find a position where you will be more appreciated. Hopefully that will help you to focus less on your current crappy work situation. Also, I’d say do whatever you can to gain experience where you are, in order to help you towards your goal of a better position where you can grow professionally. Hang in there and feel free to vent whenever you want.
rechu is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
Open Eyes