View Single Post
Paper Roses

Member Since Jan 2010
14 hugs
given
Default Jan 08, 2020 at 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyMop View Post
My daughter is also similar to my mother and I keep wondering if I am also like both of them. Everyone tells me I look and act nothing like them. How did my daughter end up with more of my mother’s nature than mine?

I’ve heard of those studies done on twins and it’s quite remarkable and thought provoking.

What do you think about generational legacies and all this baggage we have and was it handed down to us? I recently looked at 200 years of my family genealogy and was surprised to see some of the patterns that have repeated. I have made some similar choices and mistakes as past grandmothers. I also look like a great-great grandmother. That was weird to see her picture and see myself in her face.
I also have been looking at my genealogy. I actually broke some of the negative patterns. It's not easy the patterns are long and deeply ingrained. This is what my book is about.

I have seen character traits skip generations. My mother and my daughter both married repeatedly. Not twice but in my mother's case 5 times. My daughter four. Looking for Mr. Goodyear.

My granddaughter is more like me. She is reserved and does not act out. She is nothing like my daughter, her mother. I'm not much like my mother. As I said my mother saw my children rarely and they were not close. My daughter does not even know the details of her life.

I believe it is both structural, role modeling and spiritual. By structural I mean brain structure. If we can resemble others physically then so too can our brains. Brains vary a lot and some have less capacity for empathy than others and chemical makeup also effects empathy.

T h ere is a Ted talk that explains lot. The speakers name is
James Fallon, like the late night host. He is a neuroscientist who studied the brains of killers. He discovered something very strange. If you can find it it's very interesting. If you have any trouble finding it and you want to see it let me know.

Good to know that you are focused on your happiness. Some people have an abundance of empathy and forget to include sell.
I'm working ok raking on caring more for me. I even tell myself
"Good job" and other affirmations. It works.

Thanks for your post.
Paper Roses is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
TunedOut

Thanks for this!
LilyMop, TunedOut