View Single Post
Serpentine Leaf

Member Since Dec 2019
687 hugs
given
Default Jan 10, 2020 at 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper Roses View Post
I'm not judging or blaming. There have been times in my life and may be again in which I did not have any desire or enough to change my thinking. There is evidence that suggests that thinking differently can help one to feel differently.

Depression is far more complex than that. I find that I need to keep a step ahead of my depression. I need to be grateful for what is good in my life every day. Simple things like coffee or knowing that I'm going somewhere I want to go on the weekend. If I think about my sadness most of the time it does tend to take priority. I need to acknowledge my sadness but balance it with focus on what good I can see. If I do this I can manage my depression most of the time.

There are times that I wake up crying. I have a hard time changing that channel. I might just accept that I will have a sad day. But, I have strategies for escaping those thoughts and feelings. I paint or journal or color or take a walk.

It's a lot of work. I wish I did not have so much pain but I will fight falling into the black hole with all of my strength. I know that if I fall in it will take a long long time to find my way out.

It's very hard to change old patterns, especially when we learned them in childhood. And we have to accept that we'll have setbacks, down days, and bad events that will trigger our old habits again. I don't think that black hole ever disappears entirely, but it doesn't have to own us anymore. You have no shortage of support in your journey to wellness, Paper Roses (cool name BTW!) Most of us are here cheering for each other and ready with hugs.

Hugs from:
Paper Roses

Thanks for this!
Paper Roses, Train of Thought