View Single Post
Paper Roses

Member Since Jan 2010
14 hugs
given
Default Jan 12, 2020 at 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TishaBuv View Post
When my soon-to-be DIL ‘attacked’ us, she said to me, “When you don’t get your way, you throw a fit.” This was not true, I had not thrown a fit. I drew a boundary by saying ‘no’.

But if she wants to dare me, I’d like to really ‘throw a fit’. I’d like to make a world-wide case out of this.

My sister has never visited our mother, and my mother threw this article in her face saying she feels like suing her for the neglect.
New China law says children 'must visit parents' - BBC News

Can we fight the baseless estrangement movement? I can understand children of severely abusive parents having a valid reason, but this is happening to good parents.
Trisha
Wow! I had heard that this us a world wide problem but geez.
I just can't imagine why children raised in very different cultures would be choosing to do this?

I saw in the article that someone said , I paraphrase, that he/ she was just to busy.

Personally I can't see forced visits. Parents don't visit children after divorce or other situations such as their parents or a relative taking over the care of their child. Perhaps there were always adult children who disappeared, just fewer. I think trying to force visits would only create more discord.

But the article certainly highlights the seriousness of the problem.

I don't think I would want that. But I think a campaign such as ads pointing out the desperate circumstances some elderly find themselves in without their adult children's involvement in their lives might cause some to think. I'm very fortunate but I've read about elderly parents who really need help in order to have a place to live or food or medical care. There but for the grace of God go I .

I have a husband who works and loves me but without him I would have no way to care for myself. God forbid that changes.

I know I never would want my children to take care if me but I always thought it would be an option.

Thanks for this!
TishaBuv