View Single Post
Open Eyes
Legendary Wise Elder

Member Since Mar 2011
21.4k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jan 14, 2020 at 11:15 PM

Yes, a lot of people are literally taught to fear being wrong. Often the worst parents are teachers, psychiatrists, and psychologists in that they are always correcting their children instead of being actual cheerleaders and focusing on whatever the child gets right.

I ONLY got an 80, OMG I ONLY got a 70. Should instead be OMG MOM LOOK HOW MANY I GOT RIGHT.

I raised a child that struggled with dyslexia. My child actually had a high IQ, but she learned differently. My focus was not on her being "perfect" BUT instead getting excited about how much she got right. I always made it a point to advocate for her when it came to sitting and talking to her teachers. As a result, my daughter ended up loving "learning" even though it was harder for her.

I also learned there are a lot of highly educated JERKS out there. Know it alls that can't actually "do it" though they love to preach it and instruct others. Education is about creating a genuine thrust for "learning" it's about teaching children/students to "learn how to learn". It's because of how so many teachers and parents focus on what's not right that so many grow to fear being wrong.
Open Eyes is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
rdgrad15