Chat Leader

Member Since May 2014
2,312 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jan 17, 2020 at 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMeABC View Post
Thank you CANDC for the information. I guess I need to find out exactly what "living independently" means. He is living with me, completely supported financially by me, but he is not a dependent in the legal sense. That is, I don't claim him as a dependent on my taxes. I receive no benefits from any government agency, or anywhere else for that matter, for supporting him.
Not sure you can claim dependents over 18 but I am not a tax advisor. Bet you could google that and find out.

What I have heard others do is assume the debts or cosign the debts of their children and finding themselves impoverished and bitter when their children turn their back on financial responsibilities. I think clear boundaries about any debts they incur might help prevent that.

Having mental health support is usually available by state medicaid or other state program. It may be worth checking with your son's case manager. at least people are entitled to SSI from federal govt I believe. Disability is possible as well.

"Things Take Time"
CANDC is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote