View Single Post
justneedtotalk76

Member Since Nov 2019
26 hugs
given
Default Jan 20, 2020 at 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdDancer View Post
Hi justneedtotalk! Irritability, frustration, and related anger associated with bipolar disorder is not uncommon, but many do not direct it at those they love. That's not to say that people can easily tolerate it even if it isn't, but when it is, it does qualify as a form of abuse. Either way, it is a person's (your spouse's) responsibility to work on treating and preventing such behavior. Just saying they have bipolar disorder (or some other disorder) is not enough. It seems to me that it is high time that she start doing the apologizing, not you, or at least acknowledging that her disorder (or behavior otherwise) is out of control. That means, in my book, that she start trying to rectify the behavior or at least minimize it. Medication change? Medication again (if she's quit)? Therapy? All of the above?

You married your spouse for her, not her disorder, and you have rights to expect her to try to work at being healthy and take responsibility, when appropriate.

If when stable, your spouse's expectations can not be met, you have the right to decide what your limits are. You have the right to set reasonable expectations for her, too. If she doesn't meet them or try in good faith, perhaps she's failed not as a result of a disorder, but as a spouse.
You are so right. I don't want to apologize anymore. I don't want to always take the blame. I except her faults, but you are correct she needs to work on herself as well. Why am I the only one with such giant expectations? It's really making me distant lately.

I don't really feel like we have a marriage anymore. It is her and the baby and I am just in the way most days. It's not jealousy at all. I think marriage should come first. If the child can see a strong loving bond between their parents then they would want the same out of their future relationships. I don't want her to become self entitled and co-dependent if this makes sense, lol.
justneedtotalk76 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote