Grand Member

Member Since Mar 2013
601 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jan 22, 2020 at 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlumberKitty View Post
Is the one you're thinking of seeing trained as a T or is he/she a lay person? That might make a difference. Best wishes to you. Hugs kit
Thanks for sharing your experience Kit! Honestly I’m not sure if this person is a trained counselor or not, but I have a feeling they’re not. I’m looking at it more as an extra source of support though, so I don’t think I mind if they’re not clinically trained.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atisketatasket View Post
I understand why you’d choose to see a church therapist if money is an issue. And maybe I’m wrong, but a church therapist might have an agenda, spoken or unspoken, to keep a marriage intact. And if that is what you want, great. But sometimes splitting is the best thing for the people in a marriage, and I think marriage counselors outside churches realize that and may provide more balanced therapy as a result—therapy for the people in the marriage, not the for the abstract relationship “marriage.”

I do know couples where one has started marriage counseling solo and the other has joined them eventually. Good luck, SummerTime.
That’s a really good point that I hadn’t actually thought about. I think it would probably be a good idea for me to ask about their beliefs on marriage/divorce in the initial meeting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nottrustin View Post
I don't see him on a regular basis but I have met with my priest a few times when I have been struggling. It is nice to get another perspective and from a religious standpoint. My regular T is of the same religion am so we discuss it a bit too. I say give it a try what do you have to lose.
My regular t is also the same religion as me (Christian) but we don’t really talk about it much. It’s come up here and there, but he definitely doesn’t ever use it as like.. a therapeutic tool, if that makes any sense. While I’m actually grateful that my t doesn’t focus on religion, I think it’ll be nice to see a different perspective that’s more faith-based.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Is this a Pastor of a church you attend regularly?

They are from a church I’ve never attended but have been wanting to go to. I just filled out a form online. Honestly I’ve only been to church a handful of times in the past year. I’m also not sure if the person I’ll be seeing is a pastor or not, but I’m fine either way.
SummerTime12 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
LonesomeTonight, SlumberKitty