View Single Post
hartbroken

Member Since Jan 2011
Default Jan 22, 2020 at 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Hey @hartbroken:I think you can feel productive and accomplished without going back to work if you are on disability. In fact, I think comparing how you are now to when you used to work isn't good for you because circumstances have changed. First thing you can do is try and set up some kind of a routine. No one can feel productive if they sort of wander through life without a plan even if you do not work.
The best way to stop focusing on yourself is to do something for others.
I am an alcoholic and also on disability. This allowed me to get well and stay home with my kids. I got sober 8 years ago with AA and one of their principles is helping others. So for awhile I took a prison committment where I lead meetings in the women's jail. I give rides to a couple of my friends that do not drive and pick up stuff they ask me to when I am out and about. A church in town hosts a free meal every week with the soup kitchen and I have helped with that with serving.
My point is if you are physically able, there are many opportunities to help others and I promise you it ends up helping you more than it helps the people you give your time to.
I think the only reason why I'm comparing myself with what I used to be able to do, is that there are people in my life who knew me then, and they really didn't go to the hospital to visit when I was psychotic. And they take the illness lightly. They don't know what it's really like, so they expect me to be the same, taking on challenges like they do. And I tend to get sucked into that mentality that I should listen to them and take their advice.

Lithium, Trazodone, Klonopin, Abilify, Zoloft
hartbroken is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Serpentine Leaf