View Single Post
SarahSweden
Grand Poohbah

Member Since Jun 2014
219 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jan 23, 2020 at 03:55 PM

Thanks. Yes, I agree to that. They see it just like part of their method and they donīt reflect much upon how some clients might experience some of their actions. What I experienced was that even if I did explain to them how I experienced some of the things the did, they still didnīt want to change anything or at least try to understand my reactions.

I agree not all psychodynamic T:s are the same. I saw one some years ago and she had a much more kind and soft approach, she had a relational orientation. By that I now asked for a relational psychodynamic therapist and even if this latest one had such an orientation she was very different from the one I saw several years ago.

Did you find a new T who could help you with those negative experiences you had had earlier?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xynesthesia2 View Post
I would agree with this. It's unnatural and, for many people, not at all a constructive form of "treatment". But, just like in everyday life, I also think that many Ts are not even aware that they are manipulating. Certain things have been nailed into their minds during training and sometimes they follow/repeat them blindly, completely disregarding diversity and that it is not going to work with everyone. Well, too bad for them because they are losing business due to it, in a good case. In a worse scenario, they upset clients who are already pretty rattled to start with.

I don't think all psychodynamic Ts are that rigid though, it's probably more a characteristic of some old-fashioned psychoanalytics. I've only tried one who claims to be a "modern psychoanalyst" and even that was mostly a useless, manipulative endeavor. It was also a particularly unhealthy T though, so probably that made the experience much worse. But if you are repeatedly having the same kind of unsatisfying/annoying experience with different providers, I think it is fair to conclude that a method may not be a good match for you.
SarahSweden is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote