View Single Post
SarahSweden
Grand Poohbah

Member Since Jun 2014
219 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jan 23, 2020 at 04:14 PM

Thanks. Yes, as you I think there should be a comment or two about some "everyday thing" like the weather or similar but not engaging in longer conversations about things that donīt concern my issues. Thereīs a good point in the fact that doctors and others try to make the patient feel more at ease before starting a treatment or an examination. But with therapists like those, that seems impossible.

As you also say, many people would react negatively to such encounters but some therapists seem to find it useful to act in a very different way from how people "normally" act. I see thereīs a point in keeping boundaries of course but to stretch it as far as I described in my original post, I see that simply as a way to create a distance between client and therapist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindtraveller View Post
I totally understand where your coming from with the therapist not smiling or greeting the client and being unwilling to engage in small talk. I don't mind sticking to the time as it means appointments run on time. I wouldn't want a therapist to waste time but just an opening comment to break the ice. Anytime I've been for treatment for a physical ailment, the doctors and nurses always put me more at ease in this way, which is especially important if the patient is nervous about the treatment or procedure. They do this for everyone, not just for those with mental and/or emotional difficulties. In light of this observation, psychoanalytic or psychodynamic therapists seem almost punitive with their refusal to engage in a normal human exchange. It is not surprising that this triggers feelings in the client and they want to know about these feelings, so yes, they do orchestrate the situation. I think most people without mental and emotional difficulties would be peed off if they found themselves in a situation where a healthcare professional behaved in this way. Therefore, I wonder how it cannot be flawed to analyse the client's reaction and come to the conclusion that it is abnormal and a sign of their "illness" when the majority of people would feel the same way.
SarahSweden is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote