Always in This Twilight

Member Since Feb 2015
75.1k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jan 24, 2020 at 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atisketatasket View Post
If the client is in the hospital, though, with a social worker in charge, they’re already at a higher level of care, so what good would referrals be? I would expect that was an exception to that “rule.” (Which no therapist or psychiatrist has ever followed for me, so I wonder if it even is a “rule” for them in every state.)

Just to be clear, I don’t think the guy behaved well, but he did fulfill his ethical obligation to get a suicidal client care.

Hm, true. Maybe "ethical" wasn't the right word here then. I think it was the "Oh, you attempted? Well, you can no longer meet with me again, bye!" sort of thing. Particularly for someone who has been a long-term client, meeting--I think 4 times a week? It just seems particularly cold to not even allow, say, a termination session once she's out of the hospital and/or to say "If you still need help finding someone, I can email (or even mail) you some names."

And I'm not sure it's so much of a "rule" as good practice. I've always been the one to terminate so far, so no experience with what's normally done, just going by what T's have told me they typically do. And also it probably helps protect a T from liability (like being sued or reported), in the sense of being able to say "Yes, I terminated suddenly over the phone, but I did give them 3 referrals and offer a termination session."

Hugs from:
Lemoncake, SlumberKitty

Thanks for this!
atisketatasket, Blueberry21, Quietmind 2