stopdog
underdog is here

Member Since Sep 2011
1 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jan 24, 2020 at 11:30 AM

A "master list" of the idiotic things those people say:
This is a master list of common phrases I use or that I know others use as go-tos. Not all are relevant for everyone, but in my current role I provide a lot of education around parenting and related topics, so many are geared toward that as well. What would you add to the list? What would you change? [I AM LEAVING IN THE EVEN MORE IDIOTIC HAPPY FACE that was in the original]
What feelings are coming up for you as you talk about this? • What was that experience like for you? • What are you experiencing right now? • Can we agree that…? • What I’m hearing is… • Are you willing to…? • I wonder what it would be like if… • I’m confused… • What do you need in those moments? • How can I be helpful to you? • I am noticing that…is happening for you. Can you tell me more about that? • What do I need to know to be the most effective with you? • Where do you feel it? How do you want to deal with that? What have you tried? • What would that look like to you? • What would you have to do differently to make that happen? • I’m wondering how it feels to you to hear their feelings about the situation. • Have you had similar experiences? • What is going well right now? • What would you like me to do right now? • What is your role in the situation? • Can I offer some feedback about what I just saw? • Would you like to hear what I think? • Does that feel like something true to you? • What does that mean to you? • What would you like to focus on? • I’m curious about… • I’m wondering about… • If you knew what you know now, what would you have done instead? • Are there any considerations you would like me to be aware of? • I am… and you are… How is that for you? • My life is probably different from yours. I hope we can talk about that. • What new value or belief would you like to have instead? • Does that help get you where you want to be? • I want to get an idea of how this was for you. • Would you be comfortable sharing those things with me? • What would you like to do more of? • You may find some things you don’t like, but also some good stuff you didn’t know was there. • I wish I could give you an answer. • I’m wondering what you think about… • That’s a good question. What do you think about it? • I have an idea I would like to share with you. Would you be willing to hear it? • What need was met for you by doing that? • Have I heard you correctly? • Do you want to continue talking about that? • Do you need a break from this topic? • What is keeping you from being your best self? • How can I help you through this process? • What is the most powerful thing you could do for yourself right now? • What I hear you say is…but what you really mean is… • On the one hand…on the other hand… • I’m concerned that… • What would it take to bring you down to the next level? • What will you do if….happens? • What is the mission of the anger? How does it recruit you? What does the anger require of you? What happens when you meet its requirements? • Was there a time when anger wanted to take over and you resisted? How did you do it? • What do you think this tells me about your life? How do you think it affects my view of you? • Tell me more about the influence of… in your life. • What can you share with me about your background that will enable me to more fully understand you? • I know this is a hard topic and I want to provide space for you to talk about… • What do you think your other options are? • What is likely to happen if you choose to… • I am right here with you. • What would you like to do with that energy instead? • Can I pause you there for a second? • How do you think your response was helpful or unhelpful? • What is it like to not… and sit with the feelings? • What message did they receive when you did that? • If you were in their shoes, how might you feel? • I’m not sure I understand, are you saying…?
A master list of common phrases! : psychotherapy

Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.
Oscar Wilde
Well Behaved Women Seldom Make History - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.
stopdog is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
here today, SlumberKitty, susannahsays